Refresh Your Space
When organizing a specific area, such as a closet, dresser drawer, or bathroom countertop, don’t forget to take time to refresh the space. Follow these steps to help ensure that the space is clean and ready for your organizational plan.
- Empty the space completely, either before or after you purge the clutter.
- Dust or vacuum surfaces to remove debris.
- Wipe down surfaces with damp cloths, polishing cloths, or other appropriate cleaning products.
- Add any necessary shelves, hooks, or dividers. (Make sure you take the measurements before you go shopping.)
- If necessary, take the time to refresh completely by painting or refinishing worn out walls and other surfaces.
Only after you’ve done all this should you add your final touches – baskets, bins, shelf liner…etc.
It’s easy to get excited about adding those final organizing touches – afterall, that’s where you see your big payoff. But – be patient once you see the end product in sight. If you don’t get things as clean and neat as possible before adding final touches, you won’t be as happy with the end result.
(Don’t forget to add cedar balls to dresser drawers and bathroom closets to keep everything fresh!)